Welcome to SMART Connect!
About SMART Connect
The Sarasota/Manatee Area Regional Transit Study (known as SMART Connect) was conducted by the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), in partnership with the Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA), the Sarasota/Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), Manatee County Area Transit (MCAT), and Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT). The study assessed the feasibility of providing premium transit services in Sarasota and Manatee Counties.
SMART Connect evaluated various transit options for the extension of premium transit service from the Sarasota/Manatee County line north to Bradenton and Palmetto, and from Sarasota Memorial Hospital south to Venice and North Port.
The goal of the study was to identify viable corridors that could extend premium transit services in order to:
- Connect major activity centers
- Connect redeveloped areas to employment centers
- Provide a resource to local decision makers who can utilize the findings in order to develop and implement future multimodal improvements
TBARTA adopted a Regional Transportation Master Plan for Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, and Sarasota Counties in May 2009. While considering all modes of transportation, the TBARTA Master Plan focuses on providing the framework for integrated regional transit to serve all parts of the region.
In 2010, the Sarasota/Manatee MPO updated its Long Range Transportation Plan to include transit elements explored in TBARTA’s Master Plan. As a result of this action, the SMART Connect study was initiated. The study is important to the success of the TBARTA Master Plan.
- The Final Stakeholder PowerPoint Presentation is now available to view online. You can also visit the Basic information Page for hand outs about the study.
- Interactive surveys from the public workshops are live on the site! Please visit the Surveys page to take the surveys!
- If you missed the SMART Connect public workshops in September, please visit Meeting Minutes & Event Photos to learn more about the activities in these interactive workshops.
- We have speakers available to educate your organizationon the SMART Connect Study. Our speaker's bureau is available by request. If you would like to request a presentation at your next meeting, please Contact Us!
- We are interested in hearing your feedback. Please use the Comments Form to let us know any comments or questions you have regarding the SMART Connect Study.
Area of Study:
- Florida Department of Transportation
- Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority
- Sarasota/Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Manatee County Area Transit
- Sarasota County Area Transit